36 Responses to “Photo Upload Prototype: February 10”

1. Amatarasu

Hey Nookie, I love the idea of the flexible modal for those that use their phones or tablets to connect and having it simply resize rather than lose functionality. The consent features are great. Is there a way to not have to scroll through the whole agreement for every photo that you upload before being able to click agree and upload? My profile has a ton of photos, very few of me, but to scroll through a whole bunch of copyright and so forth for every single photo, seems a bit cumbersome. If I have read it for one photo and agreed, I have an idea of what I am agreeing to for the next 10. Is there a way to make it for the first photo of a series rather than for each photo?

Just a consideration for those of us that are photo geeks.

Thanks for letting me participate!

Blessings!

• NookieNotes

Hmmm. I think we’re balancing the need for security and anti-bone-headedness for all against convenience. I do bonehead things all the time out of habit, so that’s not a slur… *smiles*

I’d be interested in hearing more thoughts on this. Maybe having “saved settings,” for you most common, then you just have to double check and hit the “agree” box?

2. Steve

I love the mandatory 90 day renewal. If Facebook did that I’d have spent a lot less time deleting embarrassing stuff lol. There should also be a breathalyzer test for posting.
    Looks good so far, would love to see it spread outside of the major cities more but that will take time.

• NookieNotes

Breathalyzer! LOL! Maybe that’s a good app… A breathalyzer that locks parts of your phone. ROFL!

My plan is to fix the major issues, then really promote… we’re growing fast, anyway, but I believe with the changes we’re making, Dating Kinky will really be buzz-worthy, and worth people telling everyone else about it. *smiles*

3. Somedude718

Hi Nookie. I would first like to say thank you for all of the hard work that you’re putting into this website with trying to make it work. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed ๐Ÿ™‚

I have no negative feedback to offer as far as the photo upload process works. It seems to be a good and simple way of sharing photos with valuable options for the user.

Although a little off topic, in your video you mentioned about a “kink/fetish list” for each user to have on their profile. I think that would be a wonderful idea.

I do have a question. I am more of a mobile app user than the full website user. Are their any plans in the future to to make any changes for mobile app users?

• NookieNotes

Anthony, the kink/fetish list you mentioned is already live in BETA form on the website.

As far as apps go, YES! We are not only making the website responsive (as you saw here and will see more of), but we are going to be making the apps as full-featured as the website. I already have mockups ready.

*smiles*

4. Aedonix

these are my initial thoughts on what i saw in your video. Some of them might not be relevant as were not explicitly covered take what you can make use of.

explicit selection box: Only available to friends? Perhaps some would wish their explicit stuff available to all registered members? Not entirely sure of how you would further filter this other than a secondary checkbox allowing it to be used site wide beyond just that person’s friends.

Also, might be worth allowing an option where a “key” is needed for explicit pictures i.e. your friend or any user can request access and be granted by the user themselves. I know some people might wish to share their explicit pictures but not nessicarily want that person as a friend at that particular time.

(Public) Need to make sure that it is clearly explained as being available for marketing purposes and visible to non-members (either via confirmation dialogue box or via a subtext on the uploader itself.)

The reason I say this is I have known of sites to have issues (but as yet have not heard of one who has lost legally) to people who simply said “Well the info about what it is used for was not easily findable” etc. transparency and info with zero work required (i.e. in subtext under the option itself) eliminates any potential for problems to arise.

Suggestions. Albums so that users can sort their pics (i.e. profile pics, play pics, explicit pics, private pics and so on).

Watermarking of ALL pictures uploaded either with the site name or the username to prevent theft.

multiple photo upload options. Say someone does a photoshoot etc and they wish to upload several pictures at once, this should be made into an option instead of having to upload each individually.

• NookieNotes

I’ll take your notes one by one. *smiles*

explicit selection box: Only available to friends? Perhaps some would wish their explicit stuff available to all registered members? Not entirely sure of how you would further filter this other than a secondary checkbox allowing it to be used site wide beyond just that personโ€™s friends.

Yes, but it’s not about the user wanting to share. It’s about who wants to see it. AND… the guidelines we as a site abide by to allow our apps in iTunes and etc.

By allowing only connections, we take care of the iTunes issue. By making it consent-based viewing, we handle that side.

I think the word “friend” is the problem. It’s what I’m using now, but not, ultimately what most people think of as a friend, as we are not a social networking site, nor do we really intend to be. Perhaps this is where we need to brainstorm. I’ve shifted my thoughts to the word “connection,” but there might be a better word for someone you want to be able to interact with you more and more easily.

Did you see the text? You are thinking more than that?

Ah. Reading your next paragraph… That’s a good point. I’m specifically working towards greatest transparency possible.

We were taking out the albums, specifically because people did not like them. It’s been a huge source of confusion, and people have asked for more “like FetLife.” We have considered tags, though.

This actually happens on the website, and will be a feature in the new apps as well.

I think that is what @Amatarasu was getting at. It may not be in the first new iteration, but it’s a bug in my ear…

Thank you!

• soulsub

I’m one of those who hates albums. But i like the hashtag idea. I think the choices of hashtags may need to be limited or perhaps refer to kinks so i as an outsider can find what I’m looking for.

• NookieNotes

In that solution, all tags would be related/tied to our site-wide system of Kinks & Interests (K&I), and therefore 100% cross indexed with those throughout the site.

• soulsub

Transparency – i agree that having the definitions and info about explicit, promotional permission easily available is very important to avoid liability. I believe having these on a separate page means most people will not read them. Perhaps the roll-over pop-up thingy as well has having them on another page? That will certainly make them easier to find. (I know you love my exacting technology speak.)

5. soulsub

Several thoughts
    * is there a definition for “explicit”? Does that just refer to naughty parts? If so, then I’d call it that. If not, then it needs to be defined.
    * as someone who primarily uses a smart phone, I LOVE that I can have the same functions on my phone as on a bigger screen
    * is there an option to do “bulk” uploads? After a play session, I might have 3 or 4 photos to upload at a time. (I’m not talking bulk as in 20 pics)
    * I like the mini profile – if I see someone I want to know more about, how difficult will it be to see their full profile?
    * interesting idea to use photos and profiles in adverts. Not sure I would do it but I like the idea. I get tired of seeing the same photos on the login page of FL.
    * sometimes I’ve wanted a space to explain the photo with more characters than the title allows. Could you possibly provide an icon to link the photo with a writing?

• NookieNotes

is there a definition for โ€œexplicitโ€?

I discuss “goody bits,” but not the actual term “explicit,” which I will make sure is done.

is there an option to do โ€œbulkโ€ uploads?

Not yet, but that is obviously becoming a request. *smiles*

I like the mini profile โ€“ if I see someone I want to know more about, how difficult will it be to see their full profile?

Just click.

I see it as a great way to promote a profile. It need not be a photo. It could be a graphic or art, or whatever… It’s about variety and exposure.

sometimes Iโ€™ve wanted a space to explain the photo with more characters than the title allows. Could you possibly provide an icon to link the photo with a writing?

Hmmm. Interesting idea. I know that I’ve done something like that on Fet, making the caption, “Uploading this to write about it,” then including the link. I’m sure I won’t get that into the next upgrade, but I’ll put it as a possibility for the roadmap, for sure.

6. soulsub

If this becomes as popular as I think it might – you may need to think of this as evolving into somewhat of a social networking. I’ve met people that have become friends rather than dating partners via dating sites. It would be great to have them all in one place rather than spread among websites and messaging apps. Just a long term thought.

• NookieNotes

You make a good point.

At the beginning, I’d like to focus on the dating. However, I do know with the many ways we are adding to find connections, the site CAN, ultimately, be used for social networking.

However, i think it’s a critical distinction to start out with, to clarify the vision, and not try to compete with or disparage FetLife (which I love and joined in their first year).

Two different sites, with two different reasons for being… And yet, there is overlap, for sure.

• soulsub

I’ll need reminding of this. I’m finding it tempting to think of DK in broader terms than dating. But i totally agree with limiting it to dating only right now.

7. Steve

All good thoughts, and we discussed this in email a bit, but what about something that sets you apart from the other dating sites (besides the kink, naturally.). You said no games, and ” do one thing, do it well” I totally agree with. Maybe user written, shared stories, fiction or not, just text or even drawn? Again just brainstorming. I may be going off target here, just thinking of some way to make you the first search result to come up when someone googles “bondage app” or whatever. I know right now you’re focusing on core usability but like I said just thoughts to expand later.

8. MissV

Review of PhotoModal: Three step photo upload process is simple and user friendly. The layout of Photo Modal windows are clean and easy to read. Love the option to select/explain the subject of the photo. Absolutely love the mini profile preview! The link to full profile is also nice.

Suggestion: Photo is explicit: User should be able to select public or friends. Photo policy regarding explicit photos should be visible when adding photos.

Suggestion: Photo/profile to be promoted: Add smaller font comment that permission is for 90 day period regardless of login activity and that permission can be retracted at any time and whatever other disclaimers are warranted. Make reading/approving the promotion policy mandatory if that option is selected. Add secondary check box to confirm that user is okay with public promotion offsite for 90 days. And then a pop-up message like the woohoo on the 3rd step to confirm promotion or to un-select it. Verbiage in photo & profile promotion: use expire rather than delete.

Suggestion: Link at the bottom of the photo options: Increase font size of link to match the other options.

• NookieNotes

Photo is explicit: User should be able to select public or friends.

This is against site policy. Explicit photos are and will remain for connections only. This is what allows us to stay in the iTumes app store and other promotional areas. This, in turn, exposes us to more people, and benefits all.

Photo/profile to be promoted:

Good idea. I’m going to discuss this with my Dev.

Hmmm. Not sure about this. Explanation links are meant to be there and visible, but not obtrusive, as this will be seen by users far more than once in their interactions with the site.

9. Anthony Harris

I love the interface. It looks good, i like the detailed options you give to the user. The only thing i see missing is “delete photo” button.
    Personally i login using my phone more than my pc. On my phone the layout of the site is not good, things overlap and I’m sure there are things I’m not seeing.
    I have photos in my gallery that i want to delete as i speak. On my phone i cant figure out how to delete them.
    I love what you’ve done though. ๐Ÿ™‚
    ShruggerNaught

• NookieNotes

We do have delete. Top right of every photo of yours when viewing them in an arrow for edit and delete.

10. Phil Rakestraw

It looks good. I like the ideas about “mini-batches” maybe up to 5 photos being covered by one entry of the agreements. Maybe multiple photo upload buttons (1-5) on the agreements page? About the “explicit” label, it is a kinky dating site, why not “vanilla” label. A photo you don’t care if the vanilla world sees? I like the idea that you’re working the mobile at the same time and keeping it full function. Keep it up. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

• NookieNotes

I think the batch upload is going to be a thing… Thank you.

Vanilla. I like it! I wonder if it might be too clever, though? It’s critical that I communicate as clearly as possible when we are discussing things like privacy.

• Rohm

I believe that this will attract lots of new people, so education is going to be key.
        Whilst “Vanilla” is a general term for those in the kink lifestyle, I am regularly having to explain what it means to newbies when they attend my events.
        A simple question mark [?] after new/kinky terms can slide open a brief explanation. Like the terms do.

• NookieNotes

Well, we have a system that we have started in the site now for Kinks & Interests. That is being developed into a site-wide wiktionary and connector.

It will be the tags used in blogs. Kinks & Interests added to pages, tagged forum posts and more.

The idea being, as I’ve added “Domination” to my profile, if you click on that link, it will take you to a page where there could be a definition (user-generated, most of them), discussion about that kink/interest, users who have added it to their profiles, related and connected K&I, blogs that have been tagged with that K&I, etc…

I’ve considered also adding in a code to allow people to “link” any words anywhere to their wiki pages…

RE: Vanilla. I was thinking about this, specifically in comparison to explicit.

I don’t think it works. Explicit may still be vanilla nudity, not kinky, in my eyes. Thoughts?

11. NookieNotes

I got this comment via email, and LOVE the avatar points:

Hey Nookie ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve just checked the Video of the Photo Upload Prototype. Since I’m on my smartphone, right before going to sleep, I’ll just answer you by eMail. The prototype to me looks ๐Ÿ‘ great! Really liked everything about it! No downside or anything as long as it is working without any bugs that is ๐Ÿ™‚ the only thing that came to mind wich could but defenetly does not have to be added as it’s really really good already, would be a function, that i know from various other platforms is, where after choosing to want a certain picture that the user just uploaded, as his future profile picture, he’d then get an opinion where he can choose a specific area that fits the measurements and be able to scale the area bigger or smaller so that the user can define himself what part of the picture should be taken as the profile picture, in case the picture might have a weird format as opposed to just define the area by default.

But really great work! I love the little Mini Pop- Up Profile that shows up when clicking on it and it is very easy and understandable. Also it’s very commonly used steps from other websites which will make it very familiar in the usage for new users ๐Ÿ™‚

12. kinkypr

I think it is a good call I am gettinga good vibration from your hardwork and great attitude and asking for feedback . I know that you have passion and this is very good idea . I am looking forward to Dating Kinky this is going to be a success Nookie your thinking and puttin the time Thank you Kinkypr