29 Responses to “Messages Prototype: February 14”

1. Aedonix

I’d go with newest first, but. could you not have a message filter option so that the user can decide and set for themselves the order (i.e. a drop down which allows you to list by oldest or newest first?)

• NookieNotes

That complicates the code and the overall design factors quite a bit, as we’d have to creates designs for both options, maybe continually load differently, etc.

2. seeker

Newest on top. While an option would be nice, keeping the code streamlined and shorter than anything Microsoft puts out is a plus. 😉

• NookieNotes

LOL! Yes, please.

Also, please don’t hold back on any other feedback and suggestions. *smiles*

3. Finding My Vixen

I like my newest at the top. That way there is not the scrolling through the old to get to it. Executing else is really looking good. The mobile version you see…. Reads well

4. seeker

I agree, newest on top allows you to follow the conversation easier without having to scroll through the whole conversation. Will also make the mobile version easier to follow. Good points Vixen.

5. Prudence

I prefer the text box at the bottom and the newest message appearing directly above the box. That is the pattern that most chat/messaging uses and it feels comfortable. It would be good to only show a screens worth of messages above it with the rest being hidden with a scroll up feature to see the rest instead of allowing the page to get longer.

• NookieNotes

I agree that there should be a limit to the number of messages that show on one screen, however we do that.

6. Somedude718

I would prefer the new messages to be located at the top. But other than that, the new format looks great 🙂

7. MissV

Messages Prototype Review: The layout is nice. Absolutely love the mini-profile for each message. My vote: text box at the top and newest messages at the top.

8. kinkypr

Newest to oldest that is what I think the way I see it your doing a very good job and the site is badass

9. LilChessie

I think the text box should go up above the messages. Maybe have the most recent above the text box, then the rest of the conversation below.

In regards to the profile part, does it open initially with a profile preview? Is is possible to put it beneath the messages?

• NookieNotes

It opens initially with the preview, and as I showed, one tap or click closes it and takes you directly to the messages.

10. Nerdfriend

I know that top-quoting (newest-top) is all the rage since Outlook made it the default. It was a bad idea then, and it’s a bad idea now. The result has been twenty years of bad emails. Having done emails for about 35 years, I can tell you that having people actually read the whole email is extremely valuable. But, I don’t imagine I will win this argument.

What I am concerned about is the sorting. I’d like to you to try your interface with 400 hundred new emails from 300 individuals. Let’s have 280 of them just say, “Hey baby, let’s fuck”, and have 75 of them be followup emails from one of the above lusers say something else rude.

In among this deluge of crap, are 25 emails from 8 people you care about, except that 2 of them you have never heard from before.

Do the sorting options you describe help?
    One option I think I would like if I were of the gender that gets deluged, would be the ability to sort by the total number of emails the sender has sent in the past day. I.e. I’d like to put the people who sent 100 emails in the last day… last, because they are likely spam.
    Nevermind that you might have advanced ways in the system to defend against this kind of thing, at some point they will fail.

• NookieNotes

You make a good point. I think I’ll discuss this more in-depth in another thread. However, there will be a lot of filters to choose from… and if someone were to choose a filter, only mods, admins, and friends would be able to bypass and put their messages directly in the inbox.

Others would be “gated,” or have to be approved, and still others would be just discarded entirely, based on your preferences. AND, the sender will be notified that there a filter in place, so there is no expectation of response.

11. Amatarasu

I too prefer the newest at the top, text box up top, and thank goodness someone gets that I want to see the info on the person messaging me, to see who/what/and if they are someone that I want to interact with, or not. I will generally always reply unless someone is completely rude, but it saves me from having to try to click their name, go to another page review their info and then go back to my inbox to try to answer mail. This streamlines the process quite well, thanks Nookie!

Blessings….

• NookieNotes

Thank you. That’s the idea. Get the basics in place and convenient, while sliding them quickly out of the way at any time. *smiles*

12. CherrySoda

I have always preferred the newest messages at the top, with the dialogue entry box underneath the sent/received messages.

Other than that, everything looks great! Nice and clean, easy to see, and not too cluttered… Perfect! 🙂

13. Mistress Melissa

I love the new layout and would have to agree with everyone else. The easiest flow for messaging would be to have the newest first.

14. Rohm

Looking good!
    I watched your video twice because I was getting confused about what “messages” people are talking about. 🙂

I see two distinct elements:
    1) the list of received messages on the left — My suggestion: newest first
    2) the conversation of send and replies on the right — I prefer: natural conversation flow like most text/chat/messaging apps go. ie: newest at the bottom (and you can scroll up if you want to see more)

One bandwidth-saving + screen realestate saving suggestion: no need to repeat the avatar for each line or message in the conversation. If you already have a distinct “left-side-is-me and right-side-is-them” layout, you only need to show the avatar once at the top of the conversation.

15. Daniel

Another amazing update dating kinky is going to become a much better app. Only one suggestion though is that when ever you leave a page on the mobile app it closes the app entirely.